Wednesday, August 20, 2014

           
       HARD WATER VS SOFT WATER




Lately I have been having a major BREAKAGE like crazy and dry, so I thought what is really going on with my precious natural hair. I doubled checked all my product and even checked my regimen but nothing was working. So I looked on youtube and blogs for solution, so many things showed up.
According to NATURAL HAIR BLOG UK "Hard water can really take its toll on black hair that’s already prone to dryness and frizz".

So how does it affect our hair?
She continued "Now we know what hard water does to natural hair, let’s get down to some solutions. There are a few ways you can overcome this problem.
According to her blog,  "Now imagine all that nasty stuff attaching itself to your hair, if you will…not good, right?When it fastens itself to your scalp and the outer cuticle of your hair, it can cause dandruff, block your hair follicles and prevent all that lovely moisture from getting to your curls. And it certainly won’t do you any favours if you suffer from eczema.You may notice that your shampoo doesn’t lather up much, and that’s down to hard water too.As well as leaving afro hair dry and feeling straw-like, hard water can upset the chemical balance of your hair.It’s all about the pH level of the water – I’ll keep it simple as I flunked science rather spectacularly (proudly). Er anyway. It’s fairly elementary really. pH is measured on a scale of 1 to 14, from acid to alkaline. Hard water has a pH of 8-8.5, meaning that it is slightly more alkaline than soft water. Your water should be a 7, the perfect balance of acid and alkaline.The elevated pH level in hard water can cause your hair shaft to swell up and make the layers of cuticle lift.When your cuticle layers are lifted, the cortex of your hair is more vulnerable so your beautiful afro hair can become damaged and break more easily".
          How to stop hard water from damaging your hair ?

You could try tackling it at source: install a water softener to your plumbing system. This will provide a long-term solution and give you lots of soft water that your hair will love. Water softeners can be very pricey but I guess it’s cheap than moving to a soft water area!A cheaper alternative is a water filter. You simply attach this to your shower head and it can help to make your water soft. Invest in a decent water filter that will filter out ALL the bad stuff, or at least most of it.Finally, you can try treating natural hair that has been exposed to hard water. Normal shampoos won’t work. For this you’ll need what’s called a chelating shampoo.Put simply, chelating shampoos contain ingredients that bind to the minerals and lift them from your hair.You could also try using a clarifying agent like Apple Cider Vinegar – but this probably won’t be enough to remove the build up of minerals on your hair.

So I paused for some few minute and thought this could be true,the next week I tried buying   a filtered water i.e. Soft Water to wash my hair. But You wouldn't believe it I Freaking Love it. Awww my hair was thanking me, its was so soft. You guys will be asking me how much does its cost, just N350 i.e. Cway Water .


I know its  expensive for some you guys but its worth it, I couldn't get some pictures because I was caught in my own drama.

So guys have you tried soft water to wash your hair and what do you think?

Thanks
xoxo
faith



No comments:

Post a Comment